Friday, January 21, 2011

Salud. Dinero. Amor.

Health, Money and Love, three things a Sevilliano is blessed with when he sneezes; rightfully so, as my experiences, thus far, have proven these aspects to be some of the most important of life in Sevilla.

Keeping a long life in mind, Sevillianos pay extra attention to their daily diet.  With dishes based in olive oil, fresh vegetables and the finest meat, eating is an intense affair. Seriously. Over two days, I have consumed tapas after tapas at local bars, restaurants and cafes. And I’m not the slightest bit worried about gaining weight. Why, because it’s a way of life in Sevilla, and all of Spain for the matter.  Plus, the women walking on the streets are the representation of the average Sevillana: tall, slender and fit (therefore, no worries. I hope!).
Aside from stuffing my face every six hours, I have been shown the university where I will be taking my business classes, lectured about the importance of keeping a balance between schoolwork and “playing” in Sevilla and moved into my host family’s cute apartment.  Lola and her husband Manuel have graciously accepted my roommate Amanda and me into their small home and big hearts.
Greeted with a scrumptious lunch prepared by Mama Lola, my roommate and I had the opportunity to learn more about our hosts.  Parents of three grown men and an adopted niece (whose mother and father died while she was young), Lola and Manuel worked hard to raise their children and give them the best life possible.  Now, they enjoy a relaxing, retired life in their cozy apartment. In this society, family is a very important aspect of life cycle.  Having supported their children, the couple now enjoys monetary support from them.  Each individual takes care of the other, by getting a good education and a stable job to contribute to the family. It’s a great concept, one that allows Manuel to paint beautiful murals and Lola to perfect different recipes, in their free time. The power of Money.
And finally, my favorite, Love.  Never have I experienced so much emphasis on love during my travels than in Sevilla.  Spain prides itself with the Flamenco, a style of dance I was fortunate to see yesterday.  One type delineates the sorrow and pain a man/women suffers when separated from his/her lover.  I was able to capture a moment of this emotional dance.
I have felt this love everywhere in Sevilla: amongst older couples, parents and children, friends and even between los nativos y los extranjeros (natives and visitors).  I must admit, it’s a unique feeling being around such affectionate people…it makes me miss home and the good memories attached to it. Hand holding, public displays of affection, you name it…Sevilla’s got it. It’s a beautiful change in scene from the states, that’s for sure.


So the next time you sneeze, remember that I’m sending you blessing of health, money and love all the way from Spain.
Brazos y Besos (hugs and kisses) J

No comments:

Post a Comment