Sunday, January 23, 2011

An Emotional Muslim

“Fanáticos, matadores y las terroristas” (fanatics, killers and terrorists) were the words our tour guide used to describe Muslims.  She said that most people in Spain, and around the world, have this negative image of Muslims despite the history, culture and enlightenment they contributed to societies over years.  After seeing the saddened look on my face, she reassured me that there were many educated individuals in Spain who have studied Muslim dynasties.  “Sin ustedes, no tenemos la que tenemos ahora” (Without you [your people] we wouldn’t have what we have today).
I have never felt so proud of being Muslim than I did this morning.  We had the opportunity to visit al Alcazar, a large Spanish castle in the center of Sevilla. Our tour guide, a Sevillana and Christian by birth, took us through the castle explaining the history behind various parts.  It used to be at the center of a progressive and prosperous Sevilla – the capital of Andalusia – where kings ruled, diplomats made peace, sailors and merchants traded goods from the Americas to Europe, and above all Muslims and Christians lived in harmony.
Accrediting the Muslims, the guide pointed out the beautiful artwork within the structure.  Symmetrical shapes, vibrant colors, Arabic calligraphy, multiple trees, gardens and fountains are the sole marks, of the 10th century Muslims, remaining after the Christian Empire took over in the 12th century.  She said that the décor and attention to detail was what the Christians loved about Muslim artwork and decided to copy it when renovating the castle, after driving them out of power.
The tour continued and this pride was mixed in with a bit of unhappiness.  As I walked through the corridors and gardens of al Alcazar, I realized that my people’s years of hard work were partially erased with the stroke of a brush and chiseled stucco and wood.  The Islamic touch was replaced with paintings of Kings and Queens, crosses, and gothic architectural styles.
Yet, I left feeling energized but with a big burden on my shoulders.  My Muslim forefathers did so much for the communities they ruled in.  From architecture to literature, they revitalized civilizations across the world.  And what have I done? Nothing as monumental as what they’ve accomplished.  But I do have the ability to preserve their triumphs by educating those around me.  By retelling their history, I can restore what is in danger of being lost forever.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sunshine!

    How are you!? So proud of you and all your accomplishments! My brothers and I were sad you couldn't make it to the wedding!! But now you have to come as soon as you get back from Spain!

    Have fun, dont' do anything I wouldn't do! :)

    Take care!

    Asif

    ReplyDelete