Friday, January 14, 2011

Reflecting on Relationships

Today ends my five week internship with Wrigley. Yes, these are the same people who make the gum you’re probably chewing now…and the previous owners of Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs. 
As I went around saying my final goodbyes to everyone, I had a flashback to December 13. That night, I was relieved to have ended the toughest semester at Kelley, grateful for Dad’s regularly home cooked meals and a little nervous to start work with the Treasury group the next morning.  This time the internship was a little different: there would be no other interns to chat with on Communicator, little room for error (as I had been an intern for four months in the summer), but above all, a sense of urgency on my part to perform at a higher standard than the summer, to really prove that I deserved another summer at Wrigley.
But the minute I entered the Wrigley Building I was greeted with SS’s bubbly charisma and that’s when I knew these next few weeks would just fly. And that’s exactly what happened. Mondays would suddenly turn into Fridays, projects would go from being “in progress” to almost “completed,” the holidays came and went and we rang in the New Year.
Not only did my time at Wrigley allow for professional growth, and a better understanding of the industry, but also personal growth. My boss TW (who I refer to as “boss man” with close friends), was a constant source of motivation.  Once he realized I was a big fan of quotes, he kindly added me to a list of people he’d send inspirational thoughts to (some listed below).
·         “Stacy, let’s not complain now. There could be worse things you could be doing now. It’s not like your digging dirt. A few accounting entries won’t kill you.” –TW (now that’s what I call perspective)
·         Make your accomplishments seem effortless.
·         Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
·         Nothing else in the world, not all the armies, is so powerful as an idea whose time has come.
·         what you get is insignificant compared with what you do with what you get
·         The invisible and subtle gives rise to the visible and material. Respect the Unseen.
Now you’re thinking, what does any of this have to do with her travels to Spain, right?
From the jokes to the serious conversations (thank you TG and SS), the real world advice to the sporadic lunches and gracious presents, I’ve understood that much can be learned from personal relationships created with individuals. To accept others, despite their differences of opinions, traditions and even preferences in men will be challenge I must deal with while abroad.  Something so intuitive, if not approached properly, can prevent me from fully experiencing life in another country. 
So, my plan of action: to embrace the world with open arms…and when I feel some hesitation, to reflect on my personal experiences at Wrigley and move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment