Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Change of Heart

Chicago, you’ve done it once again. Just as we thought we’d have to wait until next winter for a proper snowstorm, you proved us wrong.  Walking into my office today, I felt as if I had walked out of a snow globe and into reality. A snow sprinkled jacket, wet hair, sloshy boots…yep, Chicago you showed your true colors this morning. Classy.

As I walked the mile and half to work this morning, it hit me how ready I am for a change in scene.  You’re probably thinking, “What was this girl thinking walking to work? Couldn’t she just catch a cab?” Or, if you are my mom reading this, you’re saying “if only she had listened to me four weeks ago when I told her to buy a CTA bus pass.” My response to that: buses and cabs are not for the “regulars.” 


I’d like to think I’ve become a “local” in the city.  Storming out of Union Station and brisk walking with the same crowd has become routine since this past May.  Every morning I see the same man, with his large coffee and breakfast sandwich from Corner Bakery, to my left and a woman, having stepped out of Vogue in her four inch black Stilettos approaching me as I walk down Wacker Drive (except today her Stilettos were replaced with fashionable boots). Opting out for a more comfortable mode of transportation would prevent me from experiencing Chicago at its finest:

-- being greeted by the Chicago Tribune man in the morning, “Happy Tuesday young lady”,
-- turning the corner to the same homeless man, who no longer asks me for spare change, but reminds me to watch my step as I hurry to work and smile as I do so,
-- watching locals slip left and right, sometimes even wiping out, only to have fellow locals help them up and ask if they’re okay,
--annoying city drivers as I wait until the final seven seconds to cross a main street, like a typical pedestrian.

These are the simple pleasures of Chicago, of home, that I have come to love and appreciate.  BUT, I am ready for a change.  With seven days until take off, I am sensing a change of heart.  As the days move closer to January 18th, my anticipation to move to Spain grows more and more. 

For 17 weeks I will be studying and interning in beautiful Sevilla, in southern Spain.  Ninety other students and I will be dispersed around the city, in dorms, apartments and with gracious Sevillanos who have opened up their homes to us.  I have chosen to live with a family to improve my Spanish fluency.  My goal, over these 119 days or so, is to make Sevilla my new home…to become a local. I foresee many language mishaps, getting lost in transit and being gawked at, but I hope these instances will make me stronger and transform me into something more than just a four-month tourist.

I survived Chicago. I hope to say the same about Sevilla.

4 comments:

  1. You'll be a local in no time - just approach the Sevillan world as you do Facebook, and you'll be a master!

    One helpful hint to NOT do with your spanish mishaps: My roommate traveled to Sevilla two summers ago. She arrived after a LONG and extremely rough travel, and unfortunately was having stomach discomfort. She finally decided to ask her host mother for help, and began with, "Estoy un poco embarazada..." intending to say, "I'm a bit embarrassed..." HOWEVER, if you've done your spanish studies correctly, you would know that embarazada in fact does not mean embarassed. It's a false cognate that means pregnant! So yes, she told her host mother she was a LITTLE pregnant, and didn't know about it until the next day when they learned about false cognates in class. >>It's my favorite abroad story ever! Can't wait till you come back with your own. :)

    Be safe! Take Care!
    -Jen Russey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are you starting the blog now when you aren't even in Spain yet?

    Veneel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still think u should have gotten a CTA bus pass lol =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. dudeeee i read all this man ur a really good writer... im excited for your adventure you know i like adventure and i know you wont flake... ur lucky and super smart jsut letting you know....again..
    and of course GOOD LUCK SAL!


    AAAAAAMIR

    ReplyDelete