Monday, May 30, 2011

The Last Supper

I just experienced it; the Last Supper with my host family.
Lola made my favorite soup; “Sophisticated Ramen” as I call it (because it’s literally just that) and the usual eggs with a slice of Turkey. Nothing out of the ordinary, but I think we all felt the end nearing. The conversation took a few minutes to get started. AJ and I told Lola and Manolo about our finals, papers and other end of the semester shenanigans.
We had planned on taking a family photo at lunch today, but failed. Then planned to take it tonight…AJ was even dressed up for the event. I made the excuse of “not showering in two days” to stall the photo sesh until tomorrow afternoon. If you know me, you know I never make an excuse to take a picture.
 Ever.
But taking THIS family photo would mean admitting that this is the end.  The end of 17 unbelievably surreal weeks in Sevilla with the best host parents a student could ever get paired with.
So I quickly changed the topic to my elation that the cleaning lady wasn’t coming over tomorrow morning. I wouldn’t have to tidy up my awfully messy room (it literally looks like a storm hit it). Almost at once, Lola got on my case about not organizing my things…and not using my desk for studying, but rather for my shopping bags.
For once, her lecture was comforting. I guess it finally hit me that this was probably the last time I’d ever irritate or spend time with her and Manolo.
I hate goodbyes.
You know when you’re asked “What’s your greatest weakness?” in an interview, rather than responding “micromanaging or being too detail oriented” I’d, just once, love to say “Saying Goodbye.” It’s the worst thing…knowing that I’ll have to depart from people who have so quickly become my family, in just a few HOURS.
I may just cry.
So, for now, I’ll return to this 10-page paper I’ve been brutally procrastinating to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment