Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Duex L’eau

The title (read as: Do Lu) was one of the first French phrases I was taught by a friend I was meeting up with in Paris, France.  I had the opportunity to use the phrase in a McDonald’s, after ordering our quick snack (it means two waters).

McDonald’s you ask? Yes, McDonald’s. Ever since taking “Global Consumer Cultures” my freshmen year at Indiana University (an elective), I made it a mission to try a burger/chicken sandwich at a McDonald’s in every country I visit (so far I’ve got Canada, UAE, Spain, Portugal and France off my list). My goal is to apply theory to the practical world; we’ve been taught that McDonald’s practices consistency in all of its location (as much as possible), until it’s forced to change certain standards to meet the population’s needs.  This has been the case thus far. With some luck, I’ll be able to cross off seven or eight more countries before I leave Spain.

So, I agreed to make a trip to France (though it was shorter than usual) after being pestered by some dear friends (and cheap airline tickets, of course).  My hesitation stemmed from the many clichés of Paris being the “City of Love,” “A Paradise for Lovers,” etc, etc you get the picture.  But, as luck would have it, I chose the perfect time to visit.
Not only was the forecast showing sun for a five day period (rare for Paris) but it was also FASHION WEEK! I can hardly be pegged as a fashionista (the difference between Chanel and Christian Dior is beyond me) BUT the thought of being around famous, accomplished individuals always gets me worked up!  My friends and I accidentally stumbled upon a fashion show and were able to grab a few snapshots of some Guest of Honor beforehand… Daphne Burki being one of them!
Aside from being STARSTUCK, I had a great time playing tourist in the central location of one of my favorite conspiracy novels: the Da Vinci Code.  Visiting the Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre, the Notre Dame Cathedral, the Pantheon, the Eiffel Tower and roaming the streets of Paris enhanced my appreciation for a culture so rich in the arts, history and diversity.  I was hoping to experience some French hostility (since I’m an AMUURICAN), but was greeted with much kindness and hospitality instead.  I definitely owe Paris (and the rest of France) another, more relaxed visit.
I also had the chance to visit the Palace Jamatkhana in Paris. I had expected it to be a grandiose, elaborate structure but was surprised when I found a modest sized building.  The only way I can describe it (I didn’t take any pictures) is to describe Northlake Jamatkhana, my second home for 19 years: a small, yet cozy, interior with enough décor to awe an outsider with just the right amount of simplicity to pull together a family of about 200 Ismailis for daily prayers.  Though I did not verbally understand most of the rites and rituals (they were conducted in French), I experienced nostalgia for the two hours that I was there.
Like I said before, I’ll have to return back to Paris to do some due diligence. Maybe it’ll be a surprise graduation present??? What do you think parents (look below)? J

3 comments:

  1. i haven't had any mcdonald's yet but i LOVE this idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! i live in paris and have no clue where the JK is. From NYC and studying here and need to check it out.

    Help?

    Thanks!

    Husein

    ReplyDelete