Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Madrid: Mishaps and Magical Moments

This past weekend, I spent 54 lovely hours in the city of Madrid.  The capital of Spain, Madrid felt like a cross between Chicago and New York. But first…my interesting journey to Madrid.
Originally, KT and I had booked our bus tickets, leaving from Sevilla, for 6PM Thursday night.  Unfortunately, a mandatory Internship event forced us to change our bus time to the next available: 11PM. As horrible as that journey may sound, KT and I made it through the six hour bus ride very easily. We slept like babies, at least I did…KT had a very annoying bus buddy who was interested in learning more about our Madrid plans. Creepy.
We finally made it to the Madrid Bus station at 5:15AM.  After freshening up, KT and I wasted time observing other travelers, as we waited for the city Metro’s to start running at 6AM.  At 5:55AM, we bought our tickets and entered the tunnel, making sure that our hostel directions corresponded with the colorful maps at the station. 

We had a plan of action: grab the grey line, get off at the first stop and then switch onto the baby blue line and get off at the major stop (aka: Sol or the “Time Square” of Madrid).
But even the best laid plans fail.
KT’s creepy bus buddy jumped onto our Metro car just as the doors were closing.  Once again, he struck up conversation with KT, asking her where she was going and staying.  Flustered and wanting to get as far away as possible from this man, KT and I got off the Metro and then proceeded to get on the wrong line, taking us in the opposite direction of our destination. Some thirty minutes later, we found our way onto the right line and to the right stop.  Once out of the station, we climbed out onto what can only be described as a quiet, dark Time Square-esqe center – La Puerta del Sol.  We quickly found our hostel, rung the doorbell until an angry owner woke up, got our room and took a nap so we could start off the day recharged.
All of Friday, we explored the East side of town (or at least it was the East side on the map we had): El Jardin del Buen Retiro, Puerta de Alcala and Plaza de Cibeles were first on the list.  It was a great day for outdoor sightseeing as the sun was beaming all day. We also had a chance to enjoy El Museo del Prado, home to one of Europe’s best art collection.  For someone who’s artwork can’t get anymore complicated than stick figures, I have come to appreciate various artistic styles, taking an interest in learning more about the inspiration and history behind an artist’s work.



After long day of walking and enriching our minds, we grabbed a very delicious (but pricy) lunch in la Plaza Puerta de Sol. Grilled fish, fried chicken smothered in soy sauce, mussels, olives and luscious Mousse de Naranja (Orange flavored cake) were quickly consumed between the two of us. We left for our hostel to rest up for a night out in the town.


Since it was a Friday, I had arranged plans to attend religious services at Madrid’s Ismaili place of Worship.  A total of twelve people (including me) were in attendance for Friday ceremonies.  Our prayers were recited in Arabic (as always) but most of the other rites and rituals were done in SPANISH! Total cool! I was so stunned because I had grown up participating in these activities in my parents’ native tongues: Urdu, Hindi and Gujrati. 
Afterwards, the family offered me sweets and began telling me about their small community of forty Ismailis.  I asked them questions about why they had settled in Spain (instead of the US, Canada or England where there are large immigrant Ismaili diasporas).  One answer led to another question which led to a story, and then another and another and another.  By the time I looked at my phone, it was close to midnight! I had had a great time with the family and definitely learned a lot about my religious history that night.
Hungry like none other, a friend and I found a local tapas bar to grab a quick dinner before getting on the last metro for the night.  I ordered Tortilla Espanola (a very basic tapa) and Zumo de Naranja Natural (freshly squeezed OJ) for the both of us. We had a chance to catch up and discuss our experiences in our respective study abroad programs. 

The next day (Saturday) I spent exploring the west side of town (or so on the map), with my best friend, while KT met up with her roommates from IU who are currently studying abroad in Madrid. We visited Plaza Mayor, el Catedral de la Almudena, el Palacio Real, Plaza de Oriente, Plaza de España and el Templo de Debod (Egyptian ruins gifted to Spain by Egypt!!!).  All that sightseeing finally led us to Calle Gran Via (Madrid's Michigan Ave).  We stopped by a Chinese Restaurant (yes Chinese) for some long-desired Asian cuisine.  We spent the rest of the day shopping for hip European apparel, taking advantage of the last week of Rebajas (sales) in Spain. 




A sad goodbye and a few promises to plan future trips later, we were off our separate ways.  I arrived back at my hostel and was greeted by KT.  We packed up, had a great night out and went to bed at a decent hour in order to catch our 11AM bus back to Sevilla, the next morning.
Six hours later, I was back at home sweet Sevilla.  I’m still in the process of unpacking and sorting dirty clothes from reusable ones (laundry is done every two weeks at my homestay).  Though I am still a bit tired from the long bus ride home, I am in trip planning mode again!!!
Next stop on this Globe Trotter’s Itinerary: LISBON, PORTUGAL! (T-Minus TWO Days!)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Salima!
    It looks like you are having an awesome time in Spain! Thanks for blogging all of your experiences! I'm really looking forward to reading your next post.
    Take care, be safe and have fun!
    Imran
    p.s. Just in case you don't recognize which Imran this is, look me up on fb: imranali777@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!

    Thanks for posting this. I was actually wondering if there was a jamatkhana in Madrid. I am going to be there from January-June. Do you still have the contact info for the jamat there? Email me! alimisakarimi at gmail. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I just saw this...looks awesome! I have to travel there from Granada..most definitely! I am leaving this afternoon...I'm so excited and nervous all at the same time. I will have to read the rest of your blog! Or I will have to relive it! ahh cant wait!! :)

    -Afsha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi can you please give the address of jamat khana and want to know that is there any other ceremonies will be offer .

    ReplyDelete
  5. please write me the address of jamatkhana in madrid

    ReplyDelete