Wednesday, January 26, 2011

State of the Union (España)

Unemployment; a misfortune I would never wish upon my family and friends (possibly those on my not-so-kind list, kidding). Unfortunately, this calamity has spread through Sevilla, and all of España, like a dirty plague.  Unemployment offices (known as S.A.E) around the city are in business because herds and herds of people line up, on a daily basis, to find some form of work.

I visited one of these offices today, for a paper I had to write for my Intensive Business Spanish class.  Making my way through the crowd, I found a group of individuals sitting in a corner, waiting for their number to be called.  Building up the very little courage I had, I delivered the sales pitch I had been practicing all morning:  “Good afternoon, I’m an American student studying in Spain for a few months and would like to ask you a few questions about the state of the economy. Would you mind answering a few questions about your unemployment status for a project I’m doing?” (All in Spanish, of course).  After I had presented myself, in what seemed to be understandable Spanish, half of the people got up and walked away.  I wasn’t sure if it was because my Spanish was atrocious or if it was because those individuals had a stigma.

I mean, would you feel comfortable talking to a foreigner (an AMERICAN at that) about your joblessness? I sure wouldn’t.  It’s normal for anyone to feel ashamed about such a situation, and I understood the emotions these individuals were feeling when I showed up with my bubbly personality.

One man willingly came forward and said “Ayudare con tu proyecto” (I will help you with your project).  I secretly think he felt bad for me. David, age 58, has been unemployed for six years now.  He had a thriving career in the hotel industry, until the economy turned for the worse.  An animated man, David told me how he was barely surviving, and supporting his family of seven, with the pension he received from the government.  “Lo recibo porque trabaje en la hotelera por trente y seis anos” (I receive it [pension] because I have worked in the hotel business for thirty-six years).

David is one of the few lucky unemployed individuals.  Most don’t have the luxury of receiving the 450 Euros (monthly) from the government.  But even with this stipend, David struggles to buy food, pay for water, electricity and rent.  Sometimes, he said, he gives up a decent meal to pay his family’s bills.  However, the main reason driving David’s job search isn’t to make ends meet; it’s to prevent himself from getting bored on a daily basis.  He remembers being active, while having a job, and now he rots away at home or in one of these offices. 

Definitely not a good situation. This economic downturn has effected both the East and West, but it’s interesting to see how the unemployed, in various countries, deal with the situation.  I’ve noticed that people in España have more of the “go-getter” spirit and are hopeful for the future…something I have yet to see in the states.

Lessons learned: First, if you’re reading this and have a job/internship lined up, be grateful. You can’t truly appreciate what you have, until you’ve seen life without it. I have. And let me tell you, I am more grateful today (than I was the day I got my offer from Wrigley) to have had an internship with such an excellent company.  Second, if you’re still on the hunt for a job/internship, DON’T give up. Keep David as an example, at all times. Even at 58, unemployed for six years, he’s out and about looking for a job.

In happier news, I had the pleasure of meeting my host family’s five (of six) grandchildren.  They literally made my miserable night full of Spanish SO much better!

1 comment:

  1. what cute kids! sounds like you lucked out with your host family!?

    ReplyDelete